since April 2017
PhD student in the Heider Lab, Department of Mathematics & Computer Science, University of Marburg, Germany
Focus: Machine Learning, Bioinformatics, Microbial Ecology, Genomics
2011 – 2017
Studies in Biology (Bachelor of Science) and Molecular & Cellular Biology (Master of Science) at Philipps-Universität Marburg, Germany
Title of Bachelor Thesis: The Role of the DnaA-Box in the Origin of the Secondary Chromosome in Vibrio cholerae
Title of Master Thesis: Towards an Architecture of Chromosome Maintenance Motif Patterns on Bacterial Genomes
Advisor: Torsten Waldminghaus
Internships and stays abroad
Sep. – Dec. 2015: Student Assistant at the Waldminghaus Lab, LOEWE Center for Synthetic Microbiology, Marburg (Germany). Focus: Programming and Data Analysis
Jan. – Apr. 2015: Internship at the Murray Lab, Center for Bacterial Cell Biology, Newcastle upon Tyne (United Kingdom). Focus: Bacterial Cell Cycle Regulation
- T. T. Richardson, D. Stevens, S. Pelliciari, O. Harran, T. Sperlea, H. Murray: Identification of a basal system for bacterial chromosome origin unwinding. The EMBO Journal (2019) DOI: 10.15252/embj.2019101649
- : Deep Learning on Chaos Game Representation for Proteins. Bioinformatics (2019) DOI:
- Direct Link. : Multiple Sequenzalignments: Welches Programm passt zu meinen Daten? [Multiple Sequence Alignments: Which program fits to my data?], Springer (2019). Book.
- F. S. Kemter, N. Schallopp, T. Sperlea, J. Serrania, P. Sobetzko, G. Fritz, T. Waldminghaus: Stringent response leads to continued cell division and a temporal re-start of DNA replication after initial shutdown in Vibrio cholerae. Mol. Micro. (2019) DOI: 10.1111/mmi.14241
- T. Sperlea, S. Füser, J. Boenigk, D. Heider: SEDE-GPS: Socio-Economic Data Enrichment based on GPS information. BMC Bioinformatics (2018) DOI: 10.1186/s12859-018-2419-4
- D. Schindler, S. Milbredt, T. Sperlea, T. Waldminghaus: Design and Assembly of DNA Sequence Libraries for Chromosomal Insertion in Bacteria Based on a Set of Modified MoClo Vectors. ACS Synth Bio (2016) DOI: 10.1021/acssynbio.6b00089
- N. Schallopp, S. Milbredt, T. Sperlea, M. Bruhn, F. Kemter, D. Schindler, T. Waldminghaus: Establishing a System for Testing Replication Inhibition of the Vibrio cholerae Secondary Chromosome in Escherichia coli. Antibiotics (2018) DOI: 10.3390/antibiotics7010003
August 2019: German Conference on Bioinformatics (GCB), „On the semantics of unknown DNA motifs – a machine learning approach“
March 2019: European Conference on Data Analysis (ECDA), Bayreuth. „Illuminating interactions in microbial lake ecology using General Learning Chains“
December 2018: 35th Chaos Communication Congress of the Chaos Computer Club (35c3), Leipzig.
„Hacking Ecology: How Data Scientists can help to avoid a sixth global extinction“
December 2017: International Conference on Bioinformatics and Computational Biology (BBCC), Naples. „SEDE-GPS: Socio-Economic Data Enrichment based on GPS information“
March 2017: Annual Conference of the Association for General and Applied Microbiology (VAAM), Würzburg; poster presentation.
September 2016: Annual Meeting of the German Genetics Society (GfG), Braunschweig; poster presentation.
March 2016: Annual Conference of the Association for General and Applied Microbiology (VAAM), Jena; poster presentation.
July 2015: CAS II – Synthetic Biology, Munich; poster presentation.
March 2015: 10th CeBiTec Symposium „Bioinformatics for Biotechnology and Biomedicine“, Bielefeld; poster presentation.